The CrossFit Open starts in a little less than a month. You’ve heard about the Friday Night Lights event we’re hosting every Friday through the Open, but we have decided to take the competition a step further beyond that. We will be holding an Intramural Open for everyone to participate and here is all you need to know!
What is an Intramural Open?
This is a team competition within our walls at Muncie CrossFit to create a deeper level of community and entice some friendly competition. The Intramural Open will last for 3 weeks starting on February 25th. There will be 1 workout per week that will be done during our class time OR during Friday Night Lights (which starts at 4pm). We will be dividing those who sign up into 3 different teams.
Should I sign-up?
- Yes, it doesn’t cost you anything and it helps build our community.
What if I can’t come on Friday night?
- No worries! We will be doing the Open workout during ALL classes on Fridays. If you can’t complete the workout Friday you just have to complete the workout before Monday. You can coordinate with your Team Captain on how to complete the workout.
What if I can’t Rx the workouts?
- Teams will earn points for Rx AND Scaled workouts. With the addition of not all points are related to just the workouts.
But, I’m too old to compete….
- There are also different age divisions that you can compete at, meaning workouts are still doable for all but still will challenge you.
How does the Intramural format work?
- We will divide those who sign up into 3 teams. Each team will have a coach as their captain to help guide them through the open workouts. The team cap again will also be tasked to send out information to their teams throughout the open. Team Captains will be coaches Emily, Eric, & Bre.
How does Friday Night Lights work?
- For Friday Night Lights doors will open 3:15pm with the warm up starting at 3:30pm. We will have a coach leading a warm up 30min before each heat time.
- The first heat will start at 4pm and heats will continue in 30min increments until 6pm (this has potential to change based on what the workout is). The number of athletes per heat will be 5 (this also has potential to change based on the workout).
- Each athlete will have a judge during Friday Night Lights, we will be looking for people to help us judge during this time.
- A sign up sheet for heats will be sent out the week of The Open.
How does the scoring system work?
- 1 point for each class attended throughout the week
- 1 points for posting on Social Media and tagging Muncie CrossFit (with a limit of 1x per day)
- 1 point for wearing team colors each week on Friday (1 point per week)
- 3 points for registering and logging scores each week on the CrossFit website (3 points per week potentially)
- Points for top M&F Rx and Scaled athletes each week (3 pts for 1st, 2 pts for 2nd, 1 pt for 3rd in each Rx and Scaled divisions).
- 5 points for taking the judges course
We will have a winner each week for the top athletes. The team with the most points at the end of the 3rd week will win!
What do I get if our team wins?
- This is TBD but we promise you will like it!
Do I have to sign up on the CrossFit Games website to participate?
- No, but your team will get more points if you do Okay I’m in, when do I need to sign up and how?
- Use the following link, Intramural Open, to sign up! If you have already signed up on the CrossFit Games website please still sign up here. This is how we will distribute people to teams.
- Sign up before February 18th because we will draft teams that evening! If you are not signed up on the list by 2/18, you will not be eligible to participate in the Intramural Open